Sunday, February 19, 2017

Old Jeans = Hope

Yesterday afternoon, my mom and I had the opportunity to host a Sole Hope Shoe Cutting Party! 
If you haven't heard about Sole Hope, they are a non-profit organization that has a mission to offer HOPE through freedom from foot-related diseases, jobs, health, and education. They teach/hire locals to assemble shoes out of recycled denim and rubber soles, that end up on the feet of local children.
Nationwide people can use their old jeans to cut pattern pieces for the shoes by hosting cutting parties! This is a great way to recycle unwanted denim and it is great to know that they go towards an awesome cause! 

For more information about Sole Hope, check out their website!

****            ****            ****

Yesterday morning I had to work and then finish help get things ready for our party. I have to say things were somewhat hectic and I was beginning to feel a little stressed out (as this week had already been keeping me on my toes). We were late and had to set up everything quickly. But you know what . . . I keep learning that it's okay to go with the flow and to hand over control of a situation to God. It seems like when I do, things just fall into place and I begin to be in a state of mind where I can breathe and enjoy the present again.

Anyways, we had a fantastic party and even though it was small, we were still able to get a lot accomplished. 
This post consists of mostly pictures, so I hope you enjoy! 




1st we have to cut the jeans open and then trace the shoe patterns on them.


Then, we get to have fun cutting them out!




Plastic is used for the heel of the shoe, to make it more durable.


photo cred: my mom

We had so many jeans!





My wonderful friend, let me use her as a model, 😊 because why not?





These are extra supplies that were donated and will be shipped to Sole Hope along with the jeans. From there they will then ship them (or they might take them when people go on a mission trip) to Uganda.


After three hours and a half, we had completed cutting out 25 shoes with seven people!




photo cred: Sally


We will be definitely having another one and hope to grow our little group into a bigger one! 

If this is something that entices you and maybe you think that it would be awesome to host a Shoe Cutting Party, you can find all the details out here. It is so easy and fun! You just have to order the packet with the patterns, set the date, invite people, collect jeans, and then cut away!

I hope you enjoyed today's post and have a great rest of your weekend! 


No comments:

Post a Comment