Tuesday, October 2, 2018

DTS [WEEK ONE]

Greetings from Canada! YES, I officially made it to YWAM VANCOUVER and I am so excited to share with you how this first week has been!



I started my adventure on Tuesday, Sept 25, by waving goodbye to some of my family and friends. It was a bittersweet moment as I was very much looking forward to this new journey ahead but I was also sad to leave some of my favorite people behind. It didn't really hit me until after I started walking through the security line... Then came the tears and with all my might I tried to hold it back so I would be able to see where I was going. That having been my first real experience at leaving family and friends behind it hit me hard after I was alone. However, I wasn't truly alone and knowing and feeling that God was with me, comforting me, and protecting me made me feel way better.

The flight to Vancouver BC from Portland was only an hour and ten minutes, which went by super fast. What took the longest was going through immigration, I think about an hour, with just how many people were in line. After making it through immigration, I found my luggage and then met up with a YWAM Staff member named Adam. He was holding a sign with my name and a few others, which I met moments later.
What I didn't know before coming here is that at the same time as my DTS, there is also a Hockey DTS going on. The Hockey Team consist of seven guys and one girl. They have lectures with us in the mornings and some afternoons, then they hit the ice for some hockey time or have dryland drill time.
The Hockey team is very fun to have with ours and all the guys make everything so much more interesting!

The moment I arrived here in Canada and had a chance to settle in and meet everyone, I felt right at home. Everyone was very welcoming and easy to get along with.
In my DTS, there are seven of us, five girls and two guys - plus Flavia our DTS leader.

We all live in a house just outside of Vancouver. Twenty of us in all and that is also including 4 people who are in the School of Biblical Studies program that YWAM Vancouver also offers.

You would think that for me, coming from a quiet home of only two to a full twenty person household, this would be quite the adjustment but actually, in reality, I LOVE IT SO MUCH. All the commotion and laughter. However, at times, it is hard to concentrate when I need to but that is when I need to just make myself go to a quiet spot or to my room.

Speaking of my room, I am in one of two downstairs bedrooms and I have one roommate, her name is Sooyeon and she is from Korea. God blessed me with such a kind and caring roommate and I am very grateful for her growing friendship.




The YWAM Center is about a fifteen-minute walk from the house, which we walk to every time we need to go there, five days a week.
Our mornings during the week start at 6:45 AM with breakfast (6:15 AM for those that have to make it) and then we head to the center around 8 AM to begin worship (only on Mondays) or prayer (the rest of the week).
Our morning lectures start at 9 AM and our lunch break is at 12:30 PM. The afternoon time during the week looks different for each day. Some days it is preparing for outreach, working with some local organizations that help low-income families or going to a nursing home type place to help out (these opportunities will be on Tuesday afternoon). On Wednesdays, we will be participating in outreach downtown Vancouver. Other weekday afternoons will consist of one on one time with a YWAM staff member or getting our work duties done.

Everyone has an assigned task throughout the week that they complete everyday, mine is dinner clean up with two other guys. We also have work duties that are more in-depth tasks such as deep cleaning, house laundry, and other cleaning chores. I actually didn't get an assigned cleaning task, instead, my work duties are hospitality - making thank you baskets and having everyone sign cards for our weekly speakers. My other job is related to the social media aspect of YWAM; I get the privilege of writing the blogs for their website, taking photographs that they will use, and also taking pictures for the YWAM Vancouver Instagram stories! SUPER COOL and I am honored to have been picked for the role.
**MAKE SURE YOU CHECK OUT ywamvancouver.org/blogs/ to check out any of the upcoming posts I will write!**




This last Saturday was my birthday and I was so blessed to be surrounded by such outgoing people and for barely knowing me, going out of their way to make sure that I had a great day! My mom also surprised me with planning the birthday party part of my day by asking if they could get balloons and had the other YWAMers write verses on them. I LOVED IT! Thank you, everyone, who took part!

Overall week one in Canada and at DTS was GREAT and I can see even after a short time together everyone here is becoming like family. 

I am going to try and write weekly or at least every other week, updates so stay tuned for more coming up.

1 comment: