Wednesday, June 20, 2018

[Love We Don't Deserve]

Tonight, my mom and I took the opportunity to go check out the YWAM base in Salem, OR and to attend their open worship night. We knew no one going in and really didn't even know where we were supposed to go haha, but I want to give a big shoutout to Jordan for greeting my mom and me with a smile and for making us feel welcomed after just meeting her! 
It was so awesome to actually be on a YWAM base and to see a small glimpse of what it might be like when I go. 

We did not know what to expect, but what I experienced is way beyond words. Jesus filled that room and even though there were only about twelve of us there (including the worship band), His Spirit was so powerful!
One of the guys there actually shared that when he was looking around and saw such a small group he was kinda bummed, but God was impressing on his heart that He had twelve disciples to begin with and that close-knit group of twelve grew into what is tens of thousands of people today!
It doesn't have to start with a huge crowd of people... if each person in that group of twelve lives like they have just received the most extraordinary, extravagant gift ever, lives all around them will be forever changed!

On the topic of the most extraordinary, extravagant gift ever, I want to share with you about LOVE. Not the kind that comes and goes depending on how you feel about someone. Nor is it to be earned or taken away. This kind of LOVE surpasses ALL UNDERSTANDING and it is the most beautiful kind of love out there.

Below are the lyrics to the song Extravagant. We sang it tonight and it reminds me in a more clear way how vast God's LOVE for us is. Take a moment to read through the lyrics below with your heart and also when you have time to listen, click on the link below to listen on youtube.

You were a lover before time's beginning // And you gave Your love freely withholding nothing // Jesus, my Jesus 
You carried the weight of the world on Your shoulders // And you stopped at nothing, to prove You were for us // Jesus, my Jesus 
It's extravagant, it doesn't make sense // We'll never comprehend, the way You love us // It's unthinkable, only heaven knows // Just how far You'd go, to say You love us // To say You love us, to say you love us 
You don't belittle our pain and our suffering // And You comfort us in our greatest unraveling // Jesus, my Jesus // You are the dawn that is breaking within me // And You are the sun that is rising around me // Jesus, my Jesus 
... 
Here is all my love // It's Yours, no conditions // When You pull me close // No, I won't resist it // Here is all my love // It's Yours, no conditions // When You pull me close 
... 
No, I won't resist it // No, I won't resist it // No, I won't resist it // No, I won't resist it
- Extravagant by Steffany Gretzinger & Amanda Cook
   
God loved us before the world began! Even though He knew we would sin. He still wanted to share His love with us. We don't deserve it and it is only through Jesus Christ that we are worthy to approach God's throne and receive this love. God didn't have to send His Son, and some say how could a loving God do that... but you see Jesus also had free choice, He could have easily asked the angles armies to rescue Him, however, He knew that in order for us to come before the Father our slate needed to be wiped clean. Our God is Holy and we needed to become holy too. He took our place for He knew that Satan and death had no power over Him! That He would make a way for us to live eternally with Him. Now because of His LOVING sacrifice, we don't have to fret about what we look like inside to approach Him. We can rest assured that once we ask Him to forgive us, God forgives and forgets! No one else is able to forget like our God! He doesn't bring it back up years later and if you have thoughts like that, it is the devil trying to steal the gift God has given to you freely. That is the other awesome thing about His LOVE! To us it is free... Jesus paid the price so we would not have too. If you ever think that you are anything less than priceless, just remind yourself of the price you were bought with! Jesus did it ALL FOR YOU! There is nothing we can do to make Him love us less.
God's love comes also without being earned. We don't have to WORK FOR LOVE. Instead what we do is the DIRECT RESULT of the love we've been showed.
I know for me wrapping my brain around the 'not earned,' 'do this to be accepted' aspect of His love can be difficult at times because that is what our culture is about. Sometimes when I don't get to my Bible reading like I should or don't take advantage of a sharing opportunity, I feel as if God is going to point His finger and shake His head at me...however, that is not the character of our God! His love is unconditional and does not waver based on our performance. Yes, He wants us to grow and share with others but those things are not going to change the fact that HE LOVES US SO STINKING MUCH!

 I encourage you this week to really sit down with God and express your thoughts to Him about His love. Meditate on verses, sing praises to His Name, and just sit still in awe of who He is and how He is changing your life.




Have a fantastic and blessed week!

p.s. CHALLENGE: how can you demonstrate the LOVE God has shown you to others? Ask God and take action this week! If you would like to share I'd love to hear about it either in the comments or you can send me a message through the contact page!

No comments:

Post a Comment