Thursday, February 2, 2017

Five Practical Ways to Stay Connected with God

"The one concern of the devil, is to keep saints from praying. He fears nothing from prayerless studies, prayerless work, prayerless religion; he laughs at our toil, he mocks our wisdom, but he trembles when we pray."


Those words above are from a Methodist Minister named Samuel Chadwick and is probably one of his most famous quotes. Chadwick is completely right when he said (in other terms) that the devil doesn't care about what happens "over there," as long as it doesn't interfere with his plans. 
Have you ever heard that other quote that says (in my own words) "Be that kind of person, for when you wake up the devil goes, Oh no! They're up!" I believe that what this quote is also saying, is that when Spirit-filled people wake up to a brand new day, to do God's work, the devil is probably thinking, "Oh man... I'll have to work extra hard today because that God-powered person is going to mess up all my plans!"
Then in my head, "Haha (in an extra mischievous way)... my goal today is to undo all of satan's deadly plans!"

This scene is a never ending battle between the good and evil in our world. I am just so thankful that in the end, I know what side wins! Can I get an AMEN! 
We are not in this world fighting against an enemy who is flesh and blood but against unseen evil spirits (Ephesians 6:12). Because of that, we also can't use physical weapons to arm ourselves; we need spiritual armor from God (Ephesians 6:10-11). 

One of the most profound and beneficial ways to be on guard against those evil spirits is to constantly be in tuned to God. Always having that open line of communication and always looking to the Holy Spirit to lead and direct you. 
  
However, you might ask/say, "How do I always keep a line of communication open with God? It's not like I can sit and pray for 24/7." "How can I make God my FIRST?" "I am really busy in the mornings and can't seem to fit time with God in, although I know it is really important." If any one of these questions relates to you, don't worry, because you are not alone! I struggle with these situations every day and every day it is a growing experience. 

  1. It first starts with a DESIRE. You gotta want to spend time with God and want to be filled with His Spirit.
  2. Then starts the DISCIPLINE. After you have the desire to get something done, be patience and be willing to put some work into it.
  3. Lastly, the steps to walk with God every day will become a DELIGHT! You will be waking up every morning with enthusiasm to greet God first and to include Him on every little moment in your life.    
 Don't give up on something that takes time and effort, because, in the end, you are going to be so glad that you kept with it! 




      1.  Greet God with a "Good morning" when you wake up!

I started doing this consistently about 6 months ago and when I started I have to say that it felt kinda weird. There I was, sitting (or laying) in my bed, looking up to Heaven (in reality my ceiling), and saying "good morning" to an unseen figure. But now, I love it! I enjoy waking up every day and telling God "good morning!" and now I feel "weird" if I don't! 😄


      2.  Get in God's Word EVERY DAY! 

Even if you don't have an hour or even ten minutes (as the result of waking up late...I know I'm guilty🙋), make it a priority to get God's Word inside of you. It can often be difficult to include this time without letting it become rushed, to the point where you don't remember/understand what you've just learned. 
In these situations (when time is limited), you need to find what works best for you. For me on my early school mornings, that come with a 40-minute drive, I turn on a sermon. My favorite to listen to, of course, come from Church of the Highlands😊. I have also recently listened to sermons from Elevation Church and Paster Jon Gray (you can find his sermons on YouTube). 
Convert whatever time you have or whatever situation you are in, as a time to soak in God's truth. Although, remember that God wants your everything. Work towards getting up earlier to have that special, dedicated time with Him before you have to rush out of the house.   

      3.  Retrain yourself not to "clean up" 

God wants you as are. He wants your imperfect self so He can make you as "white as snow."
Because of Jesus' ultimate sacrifice on the cross, we no longer have to worry about not being "good enough" to enjoy God's presence. He welcomes us all into His family (tax collectors, fisherman, Pharisees, hookers, retailers, businessmen, students, government workers, etc....).   
Instead of waiting for that perfect moment when everything in your life is "put neatly in its place," invite God in and He will help you through the process. In fact, the process will go a lot smoother if you do!
So, when things aren't going your way, having a bad day, or maybe you were mean to that kid at school (or a co-worker), go to God, tell Him what happened, and ask Him to help you make things right.


      4.  Invite Him along!



Ok so this one might be a little strange for some of you, but hear me out! God loves to hear from you! For us living at home (or who might have families), how would you feel if your family member just said "good morning" to you and then nothing the rest of the day until evening? It would probably leave you with the feeling of being ignored. Well, how do you think God feels when you leave Him at home (or even at Church)? In addition to my "spontaneous" post yesterday, God wants you to invite Him along!
No matter where you are (in the car, in line, on hold, at work, at school, etc) God can be right there with you. If you're struggling He can give you peace and if you are celebrating, He would love to celebrate with you!
Talk to Him as if He is standing right beside you! If you want, you can even write letters to Him to express your feelings. Another avenue could be in your creativity!
Whatever and whenever it is, know that you have a tag along (and "participater") if you let Him!

      5.  End your day with thanksgiving and a re-focus

Last one! Now that you have made it through your day with God at the center, you can't stop at bed time!
Use some time before you go to bed to re-gather your thoughts from the day. Start off with praising God for the things He is and has done/ is doing in your life!
Then, if anything needs to be reconciled, make it a priority to seek God's help and forgiveness. Ask God to help you do better tomorrow, which is a BRAND NEW DAY! Ask Him to go ahead of you and prepare the path that you will take.
Right before you go to sleep, tell God how GREAT He is and seal it with a "goodnight!"😊

****            ****            ****            ****

Well, there you go! My five practical ways to stay connected with God throughout the day and every day! Do you have any tips/ways that help you keep God at the center? If you do, I would love to hear them! Please comment below or send me a message!







No comments:

Post a Comment