Thursday, January 19, 2017

F A S T I N G

Day 12 of the 21 Days of Prayer is here (almost over actually) and one day over the halfway marker! I hope that you have joined with me on this journey (if not, it's not too late! check out my other blog post) and that you have enjoyed soaking in all of God's goodness like I have.

To be real with you, I'll just say that the first week of this 21 days of Prayer was not as focused as I would have liked it to be. It just seemed like the days were speeding by, and while I told myself I would fit the one hour of prayer in, it didn't quite work out like that.
Thankfully this week has been much better focused and it is amazing how much better I feel after spending time worshiping God and digging into His Word for that hour and how the day runs so much smoother (that is if I do it in the morning :) ).

In this post, I am going to share with you some tidbits of fasting and various resources out there that you can check out for more information. Now don't be scared away from reading the rest of this post! Fasting is not as terrible or scary as it sounds... trust me :)


















Why Fast


Fasting goes hand in hand with prayer, as you rarely hear about one without the other. The concept of a fast is to focus on things NOT of this world but on things above; things everlasting (Colossians 3:2). To take away distractions and to show God that you are all dependent on Him. It can also be a way to demonstrate to God and yourself that you are really serious about having a relationship with Him. 

"Even now," declares the LORD, "return to me with all your heart, with fasting and weeping and mourning. Rend [tear] your heart and not your garments. Return to the LORD your God, for He is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love, and he relents from sending calamity."
~ Joel 2:12-13 (NIV)

Fasting has even been a tool in decision making, seeking God's will and fully relying on Him for help during a difficult process. An example is in the book of Esther. Esther was so nervous to go to the king without permission, and she knew that if she didn't include God and rely on Him for strength and courage, she would not be able to go through with her duty.
Fasting is living out your faith; that you are not going to rely on your strength alone but on God's.  

God is our ultimate provider, healer, comforter, and father. Only He can fully satisfy us and make us new. This earth is not our forever home, as there is a place for each one of us in God's family waiting for us in Heaven. We fast now so that when we get to Heaven we can feast! 

"Is not this the fast that I choose: to loose the bonds of wickedness, to undo the straps of the yoke, to let the oppressed go free, and to break every yoke?"
~ Isaiah 58:6 (ESV)

Types of Fasting


Complete fast: this is when you abstain from food and are on an only liquid diet of water with the option of light juices.

Selective fast: this is when you removed certain foods from your diet. An example could be sweets or meats.
Also in this category is a fast called a Daniel fast. I have been doing some research on this kind of fasting and I found an excellent article that I believe would be beneficial to you if you want to check it out. This article explains how the Daniel fast is not a true Biblical fast, as Daniel (the person in the Bible) used this eating plan as more of an actual diet. I do agree with the author that the "Daniel fast" can set the focus more on what you are eating and not eating, instead of on God. I still believe that the "Daniel fast" is a great alternative for someone who would not be able to go without food due to health concerns or for someone who has never fasted.
*Please follow this subject up with your own research, as God's calling and guidelines for fasting for a particular person could be different from another.

Partial fast: sometimes called the "Jewish fast" and is when you abstain from eating any type of food in the morning and afternoon.

Soul fast: this is a great option if you don't have that much experience with food fasting, have health concerns, or if you feel like some physical things in your life are interfering with your relationship with God.
For example, during this 21 Days of Prayer, I have made the decision to take a break from all social media (except Pinterest because I use it for my quite time sometimes). . . I have to say that for the first couple of days it was kinda hard. I would get on my phone to look at Instagram but then realize it wasn't there. At this point in the social media fast, I don't miss it. Yes, it would be nice to see my friends posts but it is not a necessity and building my relationship with God first and foremost is way more important to me than "getting social."

Things to Remember


"When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full."
~ Matthew 6:16-18

These verses point out two very important principals.
First of all, the reason we fast is not to boast or position ourselves over someone else who might not fast. It is not a practice to impress other people, it is a practice to strengthen our relationship with God.
Secondly, I want to point out that doing a fast is not supposed to be or will not be completely easy. It is meant to provide growth and renewal of your faith. In light of this, sometimes it can be hard to put on a joyful attitude when you haven't eaten anything in days and your stomach begins to ache when you see someone carrying a delicious plate of food. Instead of dwelling on what you don't have at the moment, be happy for that person and ask God for the strength to pull through.
I have not yet done a complete fast but I have done a ten day partial fast. I would definitely recommend this type of fast for a first time fast unless God calls you to go a different route.

Resources


Here are some other websites that have excellent information about fasting and other helpful tips. Some of these websites are where I also got my information for this post. 

~ Church of the Highlands        ~ desiringGod        ~ All About God        ~ Cru         

               ~ Food in God's Place,  also on this page           

****            ****            ****

During this last half of the 21 Days of Prayer, I invite you to ask God if fasting is a step of spiritual cleansing that you need to take. Whether that is from food, TV, social media, certain activities, or whatever God puts on your heart to do. 

You can always comment below with questions you might have and I will try my best to answer them or to point you in the right direction :)

Thank you so much for reading this post and following along! I hope that this post encouraged you and if it did please share it!



   

No comments:

Post a Comment